How to talk to a video camera
So you’ve got your YouTube channel set up, and you’ve got all the gear. Your next step is to get in front of the camera and talk to it.
And, you need to be engaging so that people will watch your video all the way through.
When talking to the camera, think of it like this:
The camera = Your perfect customer
Your viewers may be your customers, potential customers, your students, or your blog readers.
Not much pressure there!(This video was originally created for a client.)
Like many photographers and video makers, you may be an introvert. In front of the camera though, you need to be extra outgoing. You need to get your inner actor out. You need to find that 5% extroverted part of you.
So how do you do that?
Being on video is kind of like going to a party where you don’t know anyone. And if you’re an introvert you know what I’m talking about.
You have two choices:
- Stand against the wall and coddle your beer
- Or move around and meet just one or two people
Think of the camera, as just one person — that one person who will benefit the most from what you are saying.
Practical tips on how to be engaging in front of the camera, and not look like a deer in the headlights.
- Before making your first real video, do a screen test of yourself.
- Make a bullet point script if it helps.
- Start simple and tell the camera “Who you are, What you do and Who you do it for” If you’re not sure, make something up. The key here is to see how you “talk” on camera.
- And you might be nervous!
- If you’re having problems, pretend you’re hanging out with your best pals and telling them that same stuff. Tell them as if it’s something exciting that’s happened to you.
- Act like you’re happy to be here
- Don’t talk too fast
- Don’t talk too slow
- Don’t be boring!
- Talk about something interesting
- Be concise.
- Don’t ramble
Even if you never intend to get in front of the camera yourself, it’s good to practice these techniques for the next time you go to a party!
Original video link: http://youtu.be/GXfNL3eovwM